Who are we?
We’re a small, diverse team working at the cutting edge of machine learning. At Cohere, our mission is to build machines that understand the world and to make them safely accessible to all. Language is at the crux of this, but it can be difficult and expensive to parse the syntax, semantics, and context that all work together to give words meaning. The Cohere platform provides access to Large Language Models through its APIs that read billions of web pages and learn to understand the meaning, sentiment, and intent of the words we use in a richness never seen before.
We recently raised our Series B, signed a multi-year partnership with Google Cloud, and we are focused on bringing our technology to market. We will partner with customers so they can build natural language understanding and generation into their products with just a few lines of code.
We’re ambitious — we believe our technology will fundamentally transform how industries interact with natural language. And we have the technical chops to back it up - Cohere’s CEO, Aidan Gomez, is a co-author of the groundbreaking paper “Attention is all you need”, (over 23k citations) and was previously part of Google Brain. Our entire technical team is world-class.
We are focused on creating a diverse and inclusive work environment so that all of our team members can thrive. We welcome kind and brilliant people to our team, from wherever they come.
Why this role?
Design uncharted user experiences that augment all the others. Empower technologists to reimagine the building blocks of human-computer interaction: language.
Please Note: We have offices in Toronto, Palo Alto and London but embrace being remote-first! We are looking for candidates based in Canada or United States for this role.
As a Product Designer, you will:
- Design a unique and uncharted user experience. Our mission is for technologists to safely (and enjoyably!) experiment with, and implement large language models into their products
- Be an advocate for our end users not just through your visual deliverables but also through the processes in which you make product decisions
- Produce high-quality work using Figma for product design, and whatever tools you wish to use for branding
- Be an integral part of establishing and transitioning into a new design system of our API platform
- Contribute to defining an internal design culture by leading decisions with user-centred design thinking, especially in cross-functional team collaborations
You may be a good fit if:
- You're a strategist equipped with a versatile design process to get you from any problem to high-fidelity designs (Rapid prototyping, stakeholder interviews, a metrics dive—whatever will get you there!)
- You have a record of shipping products, as the primary designer
- You're committed to building and facilitating relationships with non-designers to execute your vision of the best user experience
- You possess a breadth of design skills which makes you comfortable in doing both product and branding work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- You have a great instinct for visual design and therefore sweat the small details: from typography, to colour, and layout
- You're a clear communicator and are not afraid to take sides or challenge the ideas of your teammates (and vice versa)
Our hiring process:
- First, our designer will review your resume and portfolio (2-3 strong examples of product design case studies are recommended)
- Our recruiter will reach out to you for a phone screen to get to know more about your past and current role, as well as what you're looking for in your next opportunity
- Afterwards, we will get in touch to schedule a portfolio deep dive with the hiring manager to get a more in-depth walkthrough of your work
- Then we will move you to do a live design challenge with our designer, a Product Manager, and Product Engineer, to gauge how we work through a product problem together via Figma
- Lastly, you will meet with some of our fellow colleagues for a culture-add interview
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing both an equal opportunity process and work environment. We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Free daily lunch
🦷 Full health and dental benefits for employees based in Canada and the US, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada and 12 weeks in the US
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, and London and coworking stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation and shared Canada/US holidays