We're building a bank for creators.
Your favorite digital creators—the ones you follow every day on YouTube, Instagram, TikTok or Twitch—aren’t just extraordinarily talented personalities and community builders. They’re also businesses. That means they have business needs—managing revenues, expenses, savings, credit, banking. We’re building products that help creators spend less time worrying about finances so they can focus on creating.
Karat is the corporate card for creators.
Banks don’t understand creators today. Our users produce content for millions, contributing to a $50B creator economy, but struggle to access simple credit and financial services from banks. Our mission is to fix that—we’re building financial infrastructure for the creator economy.
Underwriting a whole new economy doesn’t happen overnight. Creators are businesses where content generates revenue, a powerful business engine that has fueled the meteoric rise of creators over the past decade. When we pull this engine apart, we can examine a host of non-traditional features like social stats, cashflow, and expenses to better understand and assess the creditworthiness of this new class of small business.
As the Head of Risk at Karat, you will be responsible for developing our credit models, improving customer servicing strategies, and building a team to protect Karat from credit and compliance risk as we scale our offering.
What you'll do:
- Build and tune an underwriting model tailored to creators
- Own and improve servicing strategies
- Build and update KYC/AML compliance programs as needed
- Implement credit reporting to the bureaus as a feature
- Hire and scale the credit risk team
What you'll need:
- 5+ years experience in credit and compliance risk
- Experience building and managing a risk team
- Ruthless prioritization understanding perfect is the enemy of good
- Passion for building and tuning a new underwriting model from first principles
- Huge opportunity. The creator economy just flew past a $50b milestone despite zero infra for creator banking. It’s our race to lose.
- Fascinating problems. We reduce financial risk so creators can take creative risks. The work you do in building a creator bank quite literally impacts contemporary culture.
- The right team. We’ve worked at the largest investment banks (Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley), investment managers (Blackstone, TPG), and social networks (Instagram). We started this company to leverage our experiences to help creators.
- Culture. We love hanging out with board games, delicious dinners, and brisk hikes as much as we enjoy delving into personal philosophy, management theory, and nitty gritty business details. Don't be afraid to bring yourself to work!
- Resources and growth. We’re well capitalized from top investors like Signal Fire and Union Square Ventures; CEOs from YouTube, Twitter, Wealthfront, and CAA; and investors including Twitch co-founder Kevin Lin, Y Combinator, CRV, and Coatue. We keep a lean team, and this is a rare opportunity to join. You’ll learn a lot, build foundational products, and grow as our company scales.
- Competitive compensation and equity.
- Health insurance.
- Flexible and remote work culture.
- Meet with and build for your favorite creators.
We’re a distributed team. This is a full-time role open to anyone in North American time zones.