Riot Ventures is a team of investors, entrepreneurs and engineers. Our mission is to support companies leveraging advanced technologies to modernize the world’s inherently physical industries. We believe the next great technological revolution is about reimagining the decades old status quo across logistics, manufacturing, construction, defense, aerospace, transportation and core communications infrastructure.
The digital world is reaching out into the physical world and it’s changing everything.
From our early-stage fund, we lead or co-lead 6–8 new institutional seed rounds per year with initial check sizes ranging from $1.5M-$5.0M. From our growth platform, we make 2–4 investments per year with check sizes ranging from $25M-$50M.
Our investment ethos is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the “burn the boats” mentality required to build a category defining company. We’ve invested in companies like Toast, Shield AI, Okta, Desktop Metal, Elementary Robotics, Route, Parallel Systems and Oxide Computer Company. Our team is operating at the forefront of innovation by playing a supporting role to entrepreneurs and their companies.
Riot Ventures is seeking to recruit an exceptional candidate to join the firm’s investment team as part of its associate program. Investment team associates play a crucial role in firm operations with responsibilities that span sourcing, underwriting, and portfolio support across the firm’s core and emerging areas of focus. Successful candidates will have a passion for advanced technologies, interest in early/growth stage investing, strong work ethic, and a desire to work in a fast-paced, high growth environment.
By joining Riot, you will receive best-in-class mentorship in the business of venture capital and gain an inside look into how technology is transforming every global industry. We expect you will build a broad set of relationships, encompassing our portfolio’s management teams, C-level management at F500 corporates, and subject matter experts.
We are looking for someone who shows the potential to grow with the firm and have a long, successful career in venture capital. In an ideal scenario, associates will eventually win competitive deals and lead investments for Riot. This may be sooner or later, depending on an associate’s experience level. All associates will receive support and mentorship from seasoned team members as they make this transition.
The role will ideally be based in Los Angeles, but we are open to considering a remote location if you can justify why it gains us incremental exposure to a complimentary ecosystem.
At Riot we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is a competitive advantage for the firm. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the world.
- Identify and evaluate potential investments in early & growth stage companies through financial due diligence, market research, and competitive analysis
- Drive sourcing of new investment opportunities through outreach/networking and lead initial screening
- Build and maintain detailed company financial models, cap tables and market maps
- Prepare fundraising documents, investment memos, and investor updates for both internal and external audiences
- Lead and participate in meetings with entrepreneurs, portfolio companies, and industry stakeholders
- Manage internal reporting processes for the investment team, including pipeline trackers and proprietary firm databases
- Support portfolio companies with ongoing financial analyses and follow-on fundraising processes
- Develop in-depth industry expertise and thesis road maps to inform sourcing, due diligence, investment efforts
- 1–3 years of relevant experience, including but not limited to: startup, investment banking, management consulting, private equity, venture capital
- A passion for technology demonstrated by in-depth knowledge of emerging trends and a strong industry network
- Strong research, analytical, and financial modeling skills
- Strong executive presence and excellent communication skills
- Conviction in your viewpoints
- Intellectually curiosity
- Collaborative attitude with a team-first approach
- Ability to quickly build rapport and trust from others
- A passion for networking
If you’re interested in applying, please send an email to Associate (at) Riot (dot) vc with the exact subject line “Riot 2022 Investor Hire”. If you’d like to refer/vouch for someone, feel free to send their name to us, but also have them apply directly.
In the email, please provide materials including:
- Why do you want to join Riot specifically?
- What makes you a great fit for this role?
- How would your boss or coworkers describe you?
- Who do you admire?
- What’s a current investment thesis you are excited about that you think is relevant for Riot and that you believe we should explore further?
- What is a pre-series C company you’d like to invest in/have invested in, and why?
- Any other writing/links that allow us to understand you better